Skip to main content

California Girl

 Recently I took a trip back home to San Diego. A trip I wasn't completely sure I could follow through with. I had been planning to return for several months, things fell into place a few months prior and with that, the excitement of going home begin to outweigh the dread and sadness I thought I may encounter once back in California. 

As the days begin to draw closer to my trip my anxiety begin to build, I was so excited to return, yet in the back of my mind I often felt a cloud of sadness begin to surround me. For the past two years it's been easier to be across the country then home. The pain is easier to push away, it's easy for him to be here with me in a place of beauty and happiness, it's easy for him to still be real, it's easy to talk about him in the present, not live in the past surrounded by darkness. He's real to me here, he hasn't left, he's alive and I speak of my Dad often. 

I find myself telling my new friends, my patients, even strangers about him, about my love for him, all the fun times and great memories we made, it's never past tense it's always the here and now. It's how I manage to get through the days and how I get a few hours of sleep at night. Most nights I wake up when it's completely quite and lay perfectly still, dreaming we are laughing and talking, asking his advice, still wanting his wisdom on how navigate through life.

California is everything and more I remember from two years ago. As the jet liner began to make its decent into San Diego the anxiety and fearfulness gave way to excitement the moment the sparkling lights of my favorite city came into view. Pure joy filled my soul, exhausted and tired but complete happiness begin to saturate. So many emotions begin to wash over me. 

Waking up in Beautiful Sunny San Diego was pure bliss. I was truly happy and peaceful to be surrounded once again by such beauty. 

I will leave you with some visual beauty taken while in my beloved city.

" We write for the same reason that we walk, talk, climb mountains or swim the oceans - because we can. We have some impulse within us that makes us want to explain ourselves to other human beings. That's why we paint. That's why we Dare to Love Someone - because we have that impulse to explains who we are." Maya Angelou














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beside Still Waters

Most Dreamers emerge from the Wasteland feeling spiritually and emotionally depleted.. Our relationship with God has been tested and, in many cases, damaged by distrust. Often we're in worse shape than we realize. what our spirits desperately need is time away for comfort, restoration and transformation. I wonder if David had just stepped out of his years as a refugee in the desert when he wrote his best known Psalm: The Lord is my Shepherd;I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. Chances are you've had a Sanctuary experience of some kind in your spiritual life already. It might have happened at a retreat, or while you were sitting on a rock looking out over the ocean, kneeling in tears at the front of a church, or deep in a personal quite time. Unlike the previous stages of your journey, Sanctuary is an oasis, not an obstacle. It's a pause where you're invited to meet with God to be renewed and t

My mid-life crisis, turning 40

I turned forty this past spring, me, 40 years old! I tried all year long to ignore my age. It's so depressing this new phase of my life. I am no longer referred to as miss, girl or young lady I am now Mrs. or Mam. Now, I simply ignore those people who have decided to put me in this category, the clerks, salespeople, baggers (at least the young cute one's) at the grocery store, my nail girl (for this she gets no referrals from me!, this is my way of getting her back for calling out in the salon...oh, mam... you forgot your keys, really is that necessary!) ect... and anyone else who has deemed me old! No, I don't desire to be a kid or a teenager ever again, although I had the time of my life with no responsibilities and parents who pretty much gave us all that we desired or wished for (this, I am not passing on to my children.), I like being an adult. I just don't like that I'm getting older, I don't like that my face cream is no longer for women who are 40(acco

Life Lessons, seems they all refer to me

I've learned....That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned....That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned.....That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned....That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.....That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I've learned.... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. I've learned . That we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for. I'v