Skip to main content

The single parent....not for faint of heart

Being a single parent, never thought it would be me, yet here I sit in the throws of, (for all intense purposes), (the last 8 months and a few more I, feel sure.) single parenthood. This evening as I look around my home, my children all in their place. My eldest up late finishing up some college homework, my younger two fast asleep as they have to rise early and begin the morning rush of tiding up and getting ready for school before sunrise  I'll make them a bowl of warm oatmeal, give them their vitamins and hot tea with honey, fuss with them to hurry, so much to do, finish breakfast, walk the beagle, grab backpacks, heavy coats, scarfs, hats and gloves and rush out the door to the bus stop. I realize just how much work it is for one parent, how draining it can be, the sheer toll it can take, many days I've come home from work, exhausted, wishing so badly I could just fall in to bed and sleep for twelve hours. Being a single parent doesn't allow for exhausted days, it doesn't allow you to take a break and crawl into your warm cozy bed that you've been waiting to get into from the moment you opened your eyelids. You have to keep going, there are activities to be driven to and picked up from, homework, dinner, cleaning up and on the list goes until it's quite late by the time you finally get to fall into that warm soft fluffy bed, you've been waiting for all day long to climb in to. I'm proud of myself don't get me wrong, I don't always feel pride, some days all I want to do is sleep or cry, or both. it's hard work being alone and raising kids as a single parent. but it's also rewarding, sitting around the table talking, telling stories or just laughing with each other, piling on the couch to watch movies in front of the warm fire on a cold winter night. Bundling up in layers of clothes (that's not very fun) taking an evening stroll around the neighborhood with the beagle in tow. Those moments, those times are special, they get me through the rough days and lonely nights. I only have to be a single parent for a few more months, my single parenthood is coming to a close, I've only had a glimpse into the single life of a mother, my hats off to all you moms out there doing it alone, kudos to you, may God bless you. May you find strength in him to get you through those hard days and may you find such sweet rewards with those amazing human beings you are raising. Be proud of the job you are doing, and be blessed for you are raising the next generation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beside Still Waters

Most Dreamers emerge from the Wasteland feeling spiritually and emotionally depleted.. Our relationship with God has been tested and, in many cases, damaged by distrust. Often we're in worse shape than we realize. what our spirits desperately need is time away for comfort, restoration and transformation. I wonder if David had just stepped out of his years as a refugee in the desert when he wrote his best known Psalm: The Lord is my Shepherd;I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. Chances are you've had a Sanctuary experience of some kind in your spiritual life already. It might have happened at a retreat, or while you were sitting on a rock looking out over the ocean, kneeling in tears at the front of a church, or deep in a personal quite time. Unlike the previous stages of your journey, Sanctuary is an oasis, not an obstacle. It's a pause where you're invited to meet with God to be renewed and t

My mid-life crisis, turning 40

I turned forty this past spring, me, 40 years old! I tried all year long to ignore my age. It's so depressing this new phase of my life. I am no longer referred to as miss, girl or young lady I am now Mrs. or Mam. Now, I simply ignore those people who have decided to put me in this category, the clerks, salespeople, baggers (at least the young cute one's) at the grocery store, my nail girl (for this she gets no referrals from me!, this is my way of getting her back for calling out in the salon...oh, mam... you forgot your keys, really is that necessary!) ect... and anyone else who has deemed me old! No, I don't desire to be a kid or a teenager ever again, although I had the time of my life with no responsibilities and parents who pretty much gave us all that we desired or wished for (this, I am not passing on to my children.), I like being an adult. I just don't like that I'm getting older, I don't like that my face cream is no longer for women who are 40(acco

Life Lessons, seems they all refer to me

I've learned....That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned....That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned.....That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned....That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.....That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I've learned.... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. I've learned . That we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for. I'v